From Metrapolis to Palouse: Interview with Jade Shen

Washington State University is an institution that commits to being a welcoming school to students from any and all backgrounds. While the push for greater diversity on campus is slow compared to other universities, a growing number of international students have chosen to spend their college years at a school nestled within rolling hills of wheat-fields. In 2019, WSU reported that enrollment of international students totaled 2,267, with 1,001 undergraduate and 1,140 graduate students for all of its campuses. Despite the number rising to 2,351 during Spring 2020, international students only make up 7.1% of the total student population.[1]  Within the WSU History Department, only four international students are a part of the Graduate School. In this interview, we meet with Jade (Qianni) Shen, an MA student from Shanghai, China who is studying cultural and social differences between Chinese and Japanese soldiers during the Second Sino-Japanese War. Shen had attended WSU for her undergrad degree and returned to complete her Master's degree. Our discussion goes over her family, her educational experiences, and her thoughts on her time in Pullman.

Q: Where are you from? Tell me about your home.

A: I am from Shanghai, China. Shanghai is a very different place from Pullman, it is an international metropolis with modern features, lots of skyscrapers, and millions of people.

WANINA'S SHANGHAI SKYLINE APARTMENT SHANGHAI (China) - from US$ 180 | BOOKED
"Shanghai's Skyline" (Source: Book.net)

Q: What's your family background? Did your parents go to college?

A: Yes, both of my parents have doctorate degrees in their respective fields. My mother has a PhD in Finance and my father has a JD (Juris Doctor degree). 

Q: How did you become interested in History?

A: Ever since I was a child, I liked history. I took A-Level History in High School and it made me realize that I have a passion to study History.

May be an image of Jade Shen and outerwear
Photograph of Jade Shen (Source: Provided by Interviewee)

Q: Where did you go to school before WSU? Where did you expect to go for college?

A: I did most of my secondary education in an international school in Shanghai. I had a year of experience in London under an exchange program. I wanted to go to a college in the United Kingdom to pursue my degree since my secondary school/high school used a British curriculum. I ended up going to the University of British Columbia in Canada for my first semester of undergrad. I did not like it there, so I transferred to Pullman.

Q: Pullman is a very different place compared to Shanghai, so I imagine it must have been quite an adjustment. What did you think of Pullman when you first got here?

A: It really is, so I guess you can say it was a "culture shock". Since all the places I had lived in before were big cities, it was a shocking to see Pullman. But I guess I kind of prepared myself for it. I chose to be here instead of Vancouver because I wanted to have a more authentic American college life. And for that, Pullman was perfect.

Exploring The Palouse - Explore Washington State
"Rolling Palouse Hills" (Source: Explore Washington State)

Q: How were your undergraduate years? Did you know you wanted to stay at WSU for Grad school?

A: I really liked my undergrad years here, I made a lot of friends in the History Department and the Performing Arts program here. These are friends I would keep for life so they are very important to me. Since most of my family is back in China, my friends are my emotional support and in a way, my family here in the States. I appreciate them a lot. In terms of school, I took classes from most of the professors in the History program, they were all helpful and encouraging. They gave me the support and confidence to apply for Grad school and pursue my academic career further. 

I did not really know that I wanted to stay here, but part of me did not want to leave Pullman, my friends, and WSU. I got offers from other schools as well, but I decided to stay because at the time it felt right not to leave for another school. 

Q: What has your experience been as an international student at WSU? Has it been positive?

A: I am a very adaptable person, so my experience as an international student is mostly positive. I think WSU, and especially the History program, is very generous towards international students. I never once felt left out or shut down because of me being an international student. I always knew my voice could be heard and my well-being cared for on the WSU campus.

Washington State University Rankings, Tuition, Acceptance Rate, etc.
"Washington State University Campus" (Source: College Consensus)

 

Q: What are some challenges an international student might face going to WSU?

A. Since I am from Asia, I can only speak for my fellow international students from East Asian nations. I know lots of my fellow international students faced a huge challenge with the language barrier but that comes with going to an American school. I mean, I understand it can be very different and difficult to communicate with your peers and your professors in a foreign language. Other than that, the cultural differences are pretty big between the international students and American students. For example, Greek Life is a big part of the WSU experience. 90% of my international friends never heard of the Greek system and had no clue why their classmates keep bringing up Greek letters.

Q: Now that you've almost finished your Master's degree, what are you planning on doing next?

A: I plan on heading back to China for a year and doing a feasibility assessment and research for my next project. I will most likely return to the United States for my PhD.  


About the Historian:
MJ Vega is a second-year Master's student studying Public History under Orlan Svingen. Born and raised in Washington, MJ graduated from Washington State University in 2018 with a B.A. in History. He returned to WSU in 2019, where he studies the experiences of Japanese Americans on the Palouse during World War II and the development of Americanism in Nisei and rural communities. In his free time, MJ runs a website dedicated to the history of his high school football team and also makes short videos on historical topics. He also enjoys listening to music, going to local coffee shops, and exploring the Palouse.

Sources

[1] WSU Office of International Programs. "International on Campus: About Us." https://ip.wsu.edu/on-campus/about-us/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

History as the Fruit of Power to Silence Others

"A Hellish Murder": A Case of Petty Treason in Early Modern England

The Myth of Baseball and Abner Doubleday: The Perfect American